Growing in Unity, Day Four - Life is Beautiful

Hello My Friends, Can you believe it's Thursday already? Such a fast week, which sadly means i'm approaching the end of my Growing in Unity week.  I've had so much fun working with the gorgeous rubber stamps Unity creates, and today is no exception.  

I've used two stamps today, the first being The Life is Beautiful stamp from the Just Be You Set by Melody Ross; the second is the Hearts of Old Background Stamp

My first project today is a large tag from a pack of mixed tags by Dovecraft; They have some really nice shapes, so are a great start to a project.

For my background I started off with the Hearts of Old Background stamp, stamped it in clear ink and then embossed with White Embossing Powder.  Once cooled I used a Distress Crayon (Chipped Sapphire) to go over the whole tag, showing the gorgeous hearts.

I then took a piece of left over background paper I'd created using the Bubble Wrap and Brusho Technique; this has to be one of my favourite ways to create a fun colourful background.  As Brushos are water reactive I sealed the page with Clear Gesso so I could easier work over it without destroying the gorgeous pattern.

I went over the Bubble Wrap patterned paper with Distress Crayons in Mustard Seed and Picked Raspberry and blended with water.  Once dry I trimmed it down to size then rounded the corners.

Next I took a piece of white card stock and added patches of Distress Crayon in Mustard Seed, Picked Raspberry, Peacock Feathers and Mermaid Lagoon, then blended with water.  Once dry I stamped the Life is Beautiful Birdie over the background with clear ink then added a Dark Blue Metallic Embossing Powder (Very Old Pearlustre Set from Stampendous).  I rounded the corners then layered onto a piece of Dark Blue Card Stock before adding a piece of Blue Cheesecloth (Dyed with Brushos) and a couple of gold staples.

I added my Bubble wrap patterned paper along with an offcut of the Distress Crayon Card to the tag, then some more Blue Cheesecloth before adding my focal point with some foam pads for dimension.  I also added some Paper Roses (Dyed with Brushos)

To finish my tag I took some Blue Cheesecloth, Yellow and Turquoise Netting and cut them into strips to tie through the hole at the top of the tag.

 
Here's another view showing the beautiful bird without the camera glare;



My second project for today is a small canvas which had the same Bubble Wrap background on it as the patterned paper, also seal with clear Gesso, so I could work over it.  

For my focal point I stamped the Life is Beautiful Birdie (onto Bubble Wrap patterned paper)in clear ink and the added Gold Glitter Embossing Powder.  Once heated it was quite difficult to see, so I reinked the stamp with clear ink and this time I used the Dark Blue Embossing Powder.  This looks much better now, the stamping is off slightly but this gives the bird a gold halo effect.

I took a piece of Gold Pearlscent Card Stock and added this to my canvas followed by my stamped image.  I then went round the edges with the Chipped Sapphire Distress Crayon and blended with water.

I then added some strips of Blue Cheesecloth and Cream Lace to my canvas along with the last of my Brusho Dyes Paper Roses.


Here's another view of the canvas,


I really enjoyed working on these two projects and I love how different they turned out.  In all honesty the canvas was a really quick project as I already had the canvas half decorated and the cheesecloth and paper roses dyed.  This is one of those project that really benefited from me creating extras when creating the Bubble Wrap background papers and Dying the cheesecloth and paper roses.  Nothing beats having a good stash of pretty patterned papers and embellishments.

I hope you like today's projects, I'd love to hear what you think.  Don't forget to comment to be in with a chance of winning a $20 Gift Certificate to the Unity store.

That's all from me for today
Have a great day
Bye for now
Suzi
xxx

Comments

Wow! Both of these are fantastic.
Becca Yahrling said…
I love making canvas'! These are both awesome projects. Love mixed media. And of course, L*O*V*E the birdie (being a bird nerd! hehe).
Teri Keefer said…
Cool projects!! Love the colors.
Linda said…
Love the ingenuity of using bubble wrap for a background! And your colors are just wonderful!
Kathy Dippner said…
Beautiful projects! I love all the layers and colors on both.
Wilma DeG said…
Wow! What beautiful projects! I love them both!
Denise Bryant said…
Pretty tag and canvas! I love the bird design!
Linda Vigil said…
Love these cards, totally love that stamp!
Avra Williams said…
Great colors and textures!
Owllycrafter said…
love the sentiment and must say the gold in the second project makes the blue really pop
I love your unique projects! It inspires me to try new things!
Love the touch of cheese cloth!!
Vannessa Osbourn
Denise S. said…
I really admire people who can take so many elements and make them work together. Great week.